Thursday 23 January 2014

Thursday 23rd January 2014

This morning I finished off doing my RTA unaccompanied personal effects. All fourteen boxes had to be weighed, measured and tie wrapped and then more consignment stickers affixed and finally they all had to be carted outside and placed into a sea container. What a job. Even though I will now be living out of a backpack for the next two months I was glad to see the last of all that shit.

After catching up on all my emails and stuff, I headed out to the magnetic absolute hut to do this week’s magnetic observations. I was yawning the whole time and after I got back to the office and checked the results before sending them off to Geoscience Australia in Canberra, I had to go up to the red shed for a nanny nap before dinner.


The Snow Petrel is the only member of the genus Pagodroma. It is one of only three birds that breed exclusively in Antarctica and has been seen at the South Pole. It has the most southerly breeding distribution of any bird. These birds look so fragile but are masters of the environment down here and they make a tasty morsel for the Skua's.

No comments:

Post a Comment